So, let me start this with a clarification that I am not a homemaker, I do not can and the closest thing to it that I have ever done and I still cheated was "Freezer Jam". That's right and I did the easy version which turned out horrible and tasted horrible, so I ended up throwing it out anyway.
However, I have had this desire to make my Mom's homemade salsa for years, but it has scared me to death. Somehow, I have always managed to get away with out doing my own, via, stealing my moms, and then Jake's mom actually got my mom's recipe and made her own. So I have had a pretty good stock, up till now.
Well, then my mom called me last week and told me that she had a bunch of tomatoes, so I decided that after seven years of mooching of my mother for her salsa, I was going to make my own!!!
Friday was suppose to be the day, and I inevitably procrastinated and held off through the weekend. Monday presumably followed however, with the ever looming doom of rotten tomatoes if I didn't get to it.
So, off to the races. I got up fairly early (eightish) and tried to get things going. I got all the vegis chopped up and ready to go and then after calling my mother to verify how to blanch the tomatoes; so the skin would fall off... I was on to bigger and better things, like mushing the tomatoes into the pan; while burning my hands at the same time. I kept thinking, oh they've cooled enough when "no" they really hadn't.
I must say it was quite fun... after scorching my first batch; because I realized that I didn't have "Cumin" after all, and I had to run to the store to purchase some.
The second batch turned out wonderfully. I will even admit the taste is topping the chart's with my mothers.
Homemade salsa whether fresh or canned is the best. If you've never had my moms salsa; well your missing out. IT'S FANTASTICO!!!
Thanks mom for pushing me into this, now I have one less thing to be scared of!
No comments:
Post a Comment